125 gm butter
1 tbs honey
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs VCO
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup mixed nuts and fruits (sesame, almond, cashew, walnut, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds)
1 tsp cinnamon
- Crush nuts and any larger seeds in a pestle and mortar.
- Melt the margarine and honey in a pan. Mix in the sugar, stirring until it melts.
- Mix the dry ingredients together well, then add to the syrup mixture and mix well.
- Spread in a greased tin (8″x12″) and bake at 160° C for about 10 mins. until lightly golden on top but not set hard.
- Cut into slices and leave to cool before storing in an airtight container.
Power bar variants
- Replace part of the porridge oats with fruit and nut muesli (crush any large nuts with a pastle and mortar).
- dried fruits: try figs, apricots, glacé cherries, raisins, mixed dried fruit packs, banana chips (crushed)…
- seeds: try sesame, sunflower, poppy…
- nuts: flaked almonds, walnuts, hazels, brazils…
- spice it up with ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg…